11 Years As A Cruise Writer; Who The Heck Hired This Guy?
Written by: Kuki
My honest response… good question!
Anne Campbell and Paul Motter were just starting CruiseMates and I think they had a team brain blip, and asked me if I would work for them, and write for the site. At the time I was in the bar and restaurant business (retired from that 3 ½ years ago, at age 57), and had been cruising for less than 5 years. But, I was hosting a live online cruise chat for Anne on AOL for 3 of those years.
I was never a writer, and had no training. Though at one time, in college, I had considered a career in journalism, and taken several courses. The invitation to begin writing feature articles for CruiseMates presented an interesting challenge, and exciting prospects, so I jumped at the opportunity. Basically I ended up with a job I probably couldn’t have ever got if I had been trying.
Over the last 11 years I’ve written literally hundreds of feature articles, ship reviews, “Virtual Cruises“, and Blog entries.
Since my beginnings at CruiseMates our readership has grown exponentially, and many of you may have never read many of my earlier articles, so I thought I’d go back and re-visit some of my favorites, and favorite experiences.
My very first article for CruiseMates was titled “Middle Aged and Sexy”
One of my favorite assignments during my time at CruiseMates is writing Virtual Cruise Reports. When I first began writing them, it was quite a challenge getting them filed, as there was very limited Internet connections available for passengers. I had to put them and the accompanying pictures on “floppy disks” (remember them), and take the disks down to the Communications officers, who would send them for me each day.
The first Virtual Cruise I wrote was from the Kuki family cruise to Alaska
I hope you’ve enjoyed some of the moments with me, and have enjoyed looking back at some of those moments which were the most memorable to me.
Looking back also saved me from having to come up with a new topic for this week’s Blog entry.
And 11 years later, the most pertinent question still remains …. 11 Years as a Cruise Writer; How Did Anyone Ever Hire This Guy?
- A View From the Kuki Side of Cruising -
If you haven’t read this article before I’d like to recommend it. I had a great time writing it because I was allowed to let my “slightly twisted” imagination run wild.
- Life as an Incompetent Cruise Travel Writer More than nine years ago, with a burgeoning cruise industry,...
- What the Heck is Wrong With This Ship? I’ve spent much of today trying to convince the higher...
- Holland America Cruise Line Returns to Bermuda After 27 Years With the April 25 sailing, and with a few “teething...
- Mrs. Kuki Hasn’t Been On A Cruise in Two Years Recently, at dinner out with friends, Mrs. Kuki mentioned she hadn’t...
- Virtual Cruise – Sapphire Princess Feb. 26 – Mar. 12 We’re presently onboard the Sapphire Princess, sailing to the Hawaiian...
Posted: August 10th, 2010 under Kuki.