Ship Spam – My Pet Peeve
Written by: Kuki
When the use of email became commonplace, the emergence of unsolicited junk mail has given the canned meat of the same name a bad name.
One definition of electronic spam – “flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it“.
Within that space we also have very small trash bins. How many times during a cruise do you fill those trash bins with the “junk mail” left in your cabin?
How many times during a cruise do we need printed visual reminders that there’s going to be an art auction on every sea day, or spa specials, etc.?
There are a few necessary printed items you want to delivered to you; the ship’s daily schedule, perhaps the small brochure they print with a bit of info on your ports of call, the disembarkation instructions and luggage tags, perhaps invitations to cocktail parties and that sort of thing.
The rest is just “Ship Spam”, and it’s one of my serious pet peeves.
The amount of “Ship Spam” also belies the big deal cruise lines make about their “environment protection policies”. They’ll ask you to reuse your towels to help save water and detergents, yet they’ll use tons of paper and copious amounts of ink to print advertising to fill your waste baskets.
I do understand the cruise line’s desire to advertise to promote the revenue generating departments on the ship. Revenue generated by advertising is important to their business, just as it is on land.
However, if I’m on a cruise, this is my vacation, that I have paid for, and I’d like the cruise lines to respect my desire to escape from the world of “SPAM” that I’m inundated with on land.
I have a simple solution for the cruise lines… why not place a large screen on the walls in all the passenger’s cabins and have pictures and videos run continuously all day and night advertising everything on the ship that they want to promote?
Oh… we already have those; televisions.
- A View From The Kuki Side of Cruising -
- Are Ship Libraries Wasted Space? Even as cruise ships grow larger and larger, they are...
- What the Heck is Wrong With This Ship? I’ve spent much of today trying to convince the higher...
- A Ship Within A Ship Concept VS A Luxury Ship The latest catch phrase in the cruise industry seems to...
- A World Class Resort That Likes To Travel This is one of Norwegian Cruise Line’s new advertising tag...
- The Changing Face of Cruise Ship Dining During the last half decade the nature of cruise ship...
Posted: March 14th, 2011 under Kuki.