September 25th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Tips for new and not so new cruiser!
Originally Posted by marty30907
I have compile a list of things that some people may not know. Please feel free to add to it:
• If you don’t like what is offered on the main menu, you can ask the waiter for either a steak or grilled chicken.
• Any pasta item on the main menu CAN be ordered as an appetizer. Just ask.
• Post cards, foreign postage stamps and playing cards are available at the purser’s desk.
• Get a FREE lanyard at the Casino. Purser’s desk will punch a whole in it for you.
• 24 hour pizza place also serves Calzones and Caesar salads. If you want a special topping and they have it they will make you that pizza.
• Go to tea-time they have different snacks and its a nice place to relax
• Ask the steward if you forget something ie toothpaste...they often have samples
• Bring baggies of assorted sizes. For saving snacks for excursions and wet clothes.
• Take the tour of the galley
• They have an early and late night seating as well as captains party...take advantage of both for double free drinks.
• Bring on own bottles of water, and soda and save $$$
• Bring a reusable cup with lid...less trips to get a drink
• Ask for your drink in a plastic cup (not the fancy one ) saves $$$
• You may be able to eat free lunch at the places they charge for dinner
• Orange juice is available at the same place all day they just remove the label
• You may get a free facial if you call the spa and ask to be a volunteer.
• Tie a bright ribbon/scarf to your luggage for easy spotting. Also can work on cabin door
• When the regular hot tub is too full, use the spa one.
• Use of the sauna/steam room is free
• Use the spa shower if multiple people need to shower at same time
• Ask for children’s dessert menu (banana splits)
• Bring Duct tape
• Bring a highlighter
• Bring post it notes
• Sit close at the port talks sometimes they toss out free stuff
• You can ask for extra pillow chocolates
• Bring an extension cord/power strip
• Early and extra tips for stewards = more perks for you
• You can order free drinks from the bar in the room at Captains dinner as opposed to those on the tray.
• Bring travel hooks to hang stuff in your room
• Bring a few paper funnels to make filling the water bottle easier.
• Bring towels from home to avoid fearing losing one
• Take a hand towel with you to the beach it will help remove sand and is handy for lots of other things too
• Baby powder helps remove sand
• Use a magnet to trick the balcony door into thinking its closed to keep the air on
• Most ships have a secret door...find it
• You can also print cards to take with you on the layout of the ship...simply use a word document...format in normal 8pt bold: Times New Roman: 8pt and divide into for equal columns.
• Self disembarkation is FASTER
• It is possible to ‘smuggle’ alcohol on board
• Make sure to stock up on "snacks" before debarkation. The wait can be pretty long and everything is closed during this time. Except for the coffee shop which takes cash
• Cards become demagnetized don’t use your credit card for the room safe
• If the safe will not open call the desk they will send someone to open it
• If you get sea sick you can go to the Pursers desk and ask for pills. They are free there
• Use your telephone for leaving each other messages in the cabins
• Did you know you can call Carnival's Bon voyage department and pre-order alcohol to be delivered to your cabin? You can order bottles of hard liquor so that you can make your own drinks. You can't order on line. You must call to set this up. It is a little pricey but worth it and cheaper than buying by the drink.
• Do walk the entire ship on your first day
• You can also ask your Room Steward for the book that is in your cabin
• Bring a night light/ alarm clock
• Bring water shoes
• The ship uses two types of toilet paper. Both are made by the same company. The sandpaper they call "envision" you will not want to subject your bottom to for 8 days. Ask your room steward to make sure that your stateroom is stocked with the "preference" paper instead.
• Bring a sweater the dining room can be cold
Great List I think I am going to have to print the list and take it with me because I don't think I can remember all of that