View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If any of you have read my articles about solo cruising you probably know I am not a big fan of it for several reasons.

First of all, as a male I believe it is very difficult to meet new people on a ship, especially a large one, because most people are traveling with their family units and don't really want to include a single cruiser in their group.

You might sometimes meet the "right people" but as a solo male myself a few times, after trying to make conversation with a few different people and just getting odd looks, I just realized I didn't like trying to befriend strangers even though I actually wanted some company.

I do understand there are some men who might enjoy the solitude of a solo cruise as IBCruzin describes in her message above, but what worries me is a newbie male taking a cruise solo with the idea that he is going to meet lots of new people and have a very social time. Not likely to happen, to be honest with you.

There are probably some older men who cruise solo, but they can afford it, and they don't mind the solitude. I just think it is important to forwarn single men who are not cruise experienced what it can be like.

If they are actually single and thinking about their first cruise, I believe they should try a singles group cruise - keeping in mind they are free to not participate if they so choose, and to have a solo cabin even. The point is that there is a social connection there if they want it.

That's my 2 cents