View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I don't think we are in disagreement at all! All I said was *IF* a person is going a cruise as a solo expecting to meet a lot of new people and make friends then they need a reality check.

As long as you are happy in your solitude and feel comfortable among couples and families then I see no reason to even make it a separate topic. You all are meeting here anyway.

I think it is valuable for the person reading this board for the first time to ablre to see all side of the single cruiser condition in one place. If I made a solo cruiser board then I feel it would be an artificial segmentation of a topic, like if I made separate boards under the cruise lines for couples & families. They all have pretty much the same experiences and can learn from one another.

I also want the singles cruise group enthusiasts to be able to learn something from your solo cruisers about appreciating the solitude and enjoying their own company. I think some guys who go on singles cruise groups sometimes still don't connect with anyone, and they benefit from hearing your thoughts.

I can tell you, when I worked on the Norway there was a singles cruise company that came on at least once/month. I remember talking to one guy in the group - just because he looked so sad - and he admitted to me that he was desperate to meet a lifetime companion and had come on the cruise almost as a "last ditch effort." he said if he didn't meet someone on the cruise he "didn't know what he was going to do."

I felt really sad for him, but not as bad as he felt for himself. Loneliness is a tough emotion to deal with. Some people are much better at it than others, I believe, depending on what stage of life they are in or what they may have recently experienced.

But, if you are a solo cruiser and you regularly meet people on ships, I don't see why you wouldn't want to chat with some of the singles cruisers here - even if they tend to go in groups. It doesn't mean you couldn't meet them onboard if you want to (you just can't go to their activities).