View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2007, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
"Unfortunately, the rumors are true. Carnival has decided to stick it to the solo cruisers by charging them 200% of not only most cabin fares "
Say it ain't so !! If Carnival hits singles up for 200% on cabins the darn fools risk losing my business. I'm not paying 200% for a frumpy Spartan cabin. 8)
Some cruise-lines ( including RCCL & Celebrity) have offered 200% rates, while Carnival and HAL have worked with me. Take a look at the cruises that I have booked.
What is your date for the Destiny? I am thinking about June 1 for the Destiny. I didn't care for the ship but the port stops are to die for if you like port intensive cruises which I do. Are you soloing on the Destiny?

I have found that RCCL will cut their single supple down to 150% for the bottom categories cabins on slow selling cruises. I think they may be testing the waters a bit.

Carnival IS NOT charging double for the Cat 1A's what they are now doing is charging double the port charges for people cruising alone. They used to charge on a single port charges.

However, to be honest, Carnival is charging $893 for the Destiny on June 1 solo Cat 1A while RCCL is charging $2,145 for the AOS on June 8 bottom category and $1,800 for May 25. Both ships have very similar itineraries leaving out of San Juan. No matter how much I like the Navigator of the Seas in February, I cannot pay an extra $1,300 when I know both ships have very similar service, reviews, complaints, etc.

If I am thrifty and patient, that $2,145 will easily pay for all three of my 2008 cruises. I am spending $425 for my winter cruise, $900 for my summer cruise and approximately $700 or so for my fall cruise for a total of $2,000, less than the cost of that one RCCL AOS cruise.

I am still a Carnival devotee but I am not open to investigating other options when the price is so close.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)