Snailmailfla you are in for a wonderful cruise on Crystal! It's often been compared to a floating Ritz Carlton!
Re: money saving tips:
1. The money for your tips is deposited into your on board account. It is based on suggested tip amounts for your stewardess, waiter and assistant waiter. Additional tips are at your discretion and these include tips for additional dining room staff, Lido deck waiters, bar staff,etc. You also have the opportunity to have the tips deducted from your account or you may give envelopes directly to the crew member you wish to thank.
2. It's possible to save money on drinks on Crystal. There are at least two cocktail parties that you will be invited to on formal nights where the drinks are free and no tip is expected. You will be offered wine or champagne, but you may request any other drink you wish. There are often other parties to which you may be invited, and again the drinks are free.
3. Coffee specialty drinks are free in The Bistro, unlike many other ships.
4. Shore excursions can be pricey, but if you do some research you may find there are perfectly acceptable and safe alternatives: a walking tour on your own, visiting a local beach, etc.
5. There are no charges for food at any time on Crystal, and soft drinks, coffee and tea are always free.
You may find some other ideas by posting on cruisecritic.com on the Crystal Board.
Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!