View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNeal
On a scale of 1 - 10 I would have to rank the importance of the dress code at an 8.

My biggest problem, and greatest ire, is reserved for violations of the dress code which involve the following:

Quote:
T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours.
We've been through this before, and in terms of your last comment, I wholeheartedly agree with you. If someone is going to wear a sloppy tee-shirt and cut-off jeans to the dining room on formal night, that just goes to show that they have no respect for their fellow diners. If they want to dress like that, then there are venues onboard the ship (primarily the Lido) where they can certainly do that freely.

But, that said, I don't think everyone should be expected to wear gowns and tuxedos on formal nights. I certainly would never do this because it's just not "me," and as far as I am concerned it is not necessary for me to "fit in."

As long as people dress nicely ... with obvious attention to their grooming on those formal nights, I think that is fine. They don't have to technically be dressed to kill. And I don't think their failure to dress to the nines should have any impact whatsoever on the enjoyment of others who do choose to go all out.

But if someone comes to the dining room dressed in a sloppy tee-shirt with bluejeans on formal night, then I blame HAL for allowing them to be seated. The matri 'd should politely stop them at the door and direct them to the Lido to eat. In fact, I saw just this sort of thing occur in the Ocean Bar on a formal night during my last cruise (on the Veendam). A couple of gentlemen took a seat at the bar on formal night wearing tee-shirts and shorts. The next thing I knew, they were quietly getting off their barstools and heading toward the door. Apparently the bartender politely sent them on their way ... as rightfully he should. Yet, I was sitting at one of the tables, clearly not dressed "technically" formal, but dressed nicely ... and had no problems being served all night long. I also had enjoyed dinner in the dining room dressed the same way. But, then again ... I certainly wasn't wearing jeans or a tee-shirt either.

Blue skies ...

--rita