Thread: Fuel Surcharges
View Single Post
Old December 24th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
Captain Smith with your experience in this field, wouldn't you agree that high fuel prices are here to stay?

Manuel

Hiya Manuel,
I think the fuel surcharge going away is wishful thinking. I think the cruiselines should just have adjusted the prices accordingly because now we have port charges that are extra, govt fees that are extra, a fuel supplement, what next?
I think much like they have in the European Union, all prices advertised (no matter if they are flights only, air packages, hotel accomodations, cruises and so on) should include everything, your "out the door" price, so to speak. But hey, who am I to argue with the marketing gurus/advertising lobby or the bunch of incompetent and ball-less politicians whose only interests are protecting their own seats, literally.
Just my 2 cents!

Captain
I disagree. If additional charges are required due to an unexpected rise in fuel after brochures are printed, then there is no choice except for a surcharge. You can't raise "base" prices over the brochure without being guilty of false advertising.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14