View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default Re: Looking to cruise solo with other gay travellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcruising
Hello all - what a cool site

I'm a 43 y.o. gay male who is looking to take their first cruise. Don't think I'd care much for the "all gay" cruises that are out there so was wondering if anyone could point me in another direction - I guess looking for more of a ay-friendly cruise... I would probably travel solo so a line with a good single supplement program or would be open to a cool roommate too... I hope this isn't too vague. Looking for late Feb, early March. Can anyone help?
Thanks...

Hi AZ,

Welcome to Cruisemates, the friendliest cruise chat site on the planet!

Captain here pitching in. Not gay but I don't think it should matter.

As Ron said, a good introduction to cruising for you may be a cruise to Baja or to the Mexican Riviera out of Long Beach, San Pedro or San Diego.
Carnival, Princess and NCL all operate cruises to those parts of Mexico during the period you have in mind. NCL lately seem to have had some real good last-minute deals, as have Princess. Last week I saw a Princess 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise advertised on the Princess website for $399, inlcuding port charges AND fuel supplement plus around $36 in taxes! Not bad at all. I do not know about the single supplement though as I always travel with my better half (the Mrs ).

Another good reason you may want to try any cruise that stops in Cabo San Lucas around late February is the fact that at that time it is peak whale watching season and I cannot tell you how many times we have seen whales, many times in their hundreds with their calves, around Cabo San Lucas between Jan-late February. It is one heck of an experience watching a whale breach within sight!

As for gay-friendly, I would not be too concerned about that. Some of the worst tablemates we have had on the 50 cruises we have been on have been "normal" straight people while some of the more pleasant dinner mates we have had have been gay people. Likewise in the theater and lounges, we have enjoyed many pleasant evenings in the company of gay people. What goes on behind closed doors should be nobody's business or concern, so don't let that be an issue preventing you from cruising any of the fine cruiselines I mentioned. All three of them also provide at least one Friends Of Dorothy meeting during the cruise.

Whichever cruiseline you choose, welcome to the wonderful world of cruising.

Captain