View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2008, 03:37 PM
First Mate

Did not think anyone remembers this great lin and the Italian staff and the wonderful food along with the specials made at your dining table each nite.We are cruisers from the 50,s out of Miami to Nassau and now have over 40 cruises with a back to back on Star and then Caribbean last Feb. We took the Fairwind from SF to Alaska and return and I believe it was 10 days in June of 1973 and can remember the first nite being quite rough in the northern pacific and we were some of the few in the dining room.In 1977 we took the Fairsea to Mexico from Long Beach.This was a great line when it stood on it,s own and my wife still remembers how attentative the Italien waiters waiters were to the women and certainly knew how to turn on the charm and make the dining experience a real treat. Thes were the real days of cruising in my opinion when you dressed for dinner and it was loke eating in a 5 star restaurant and the only comparioson today is when you choose an alternative restaurant where there is always an additional charge and many times not as good as what we are talking about from the Sitmar days along with the service.Many on this board will say that they would rather have the more casual atmosphere and the ships for the most part are too large for special preparations at your table.At least I can say have been there and done that and loved every moment of it. For the record Holland America continued this type cruise with a most memorable cruise from Miami to south America on the old New Amsterdam where violins played in the loft during dinner and you dressed wit a coat and tie every nite or formal.