View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Admiral

I can tell you that in light of this event, if I ever develop what may or may not be a serious problem while on a ship and the next port is some third world hell hole, I will NOT report it. I'd be a fool to.

Example: virtually ALL modern cruise ships have a supply of clot busting drugs and can treat a simple heart attack pretty well. Most third world Hospitals do not, and can not. They lack the drugs and the expertise. Many lack even antibiotics and basic sanitation.

Under those circumstances, if you are the ship's Doc and a man comes to you with chest pains, and has possibly had a heart attack, do you kick him off the ship and into the incompetent, unskilled and ill equipped hands of third world medicine, or do you treat him on board? I guess if you are this doctor on Carnival your decision is easy. You throw the guy off and let him take his chances! Out of sight out of mind. Yuk Yuk -- what me worry?

90,000 people every year die in the United States alone due to medical "mistakes." That doesn't mean we have to continue to tolerate them!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10