View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Admiral

HoustonTodd,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Because ... some ... of ... us ... don't ... feel ... comfortable ... dressed ... up. I have to dress up for work, when I am outside of work I WILL not dress up. I hate it, I am uncomfortable in it. Maybe you like it, maybe it feels good to you, maybe it makes you feel good about yourself. It doesn't do that for everyone.
Fortunately, the cruise industry is big enough to offer options for all tastes and styles, with several lines catering to the "all casual" crowd.

>> In the "premium" segment, both Azamara Cruises and Disney Cruises are "all casual."

>> In the "mainstream" segment, Norwegian Cruise Line now advertises "formal optional" evenings rather than "formal" evenings.

And there are also several lines that offer "all casual" cruises aboard smaller vessels. If you don't wish to dress for "formal" and semiformal" or "informal" evenings, these lines are very viable options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I think dressed up is ugly. I think most women when they get dressed up for a formal occaision look FAR worse than they do on a normal every day-to-day basis. I think formal clothes are by and large unatractive.
Some of us obviously don't agree with that! Many of us think that ladies and gentlemen look quite classy in their formalwear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
It is simply cultural differences, and there is no right or wrong within that. Oh, rules of modesty should always apply I would think, but beyond that, whether it is a tux or jeans and a polo, or (my prefered dress) khaki shorts and a polo, what difference does it make? It is just clothes! It is just simple cultural differences, there is no moral right or wrong in it.
I agree that dressing in "casual" attire is not immoral, but I also think that the rules of social etiquette and common courtesy govern this situation. When I book a cruise that includes "formal" evenings, I expect the ambiance and style of "formal" evenings -- and FBOW, the proper dress of the participants is a major component of that ambiance and style. Those who book such a cruise with no intention of conforming to the prescribed evening attire, and thus offer the cruise line the choice of acting to enforce the evening dress standards or failing to deliver the product for which other passengers have paid, show themsevles to be inconsiderate buffoons who are totally lacking in class and social grace. In this context, the obnoxious attitude of "It's my vacation and I'll do as I please!" is the epitomy of arrogance. Social etiquette dictates that those who do not wish to dress should either choose an "all casual" line or limit themselves to the "casual" alternatives offered by the line that they do choose. On many cruise lines, the latter are very limited.

Norm.