View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Default Series of Reviews of Caribbean Princess, Part 5

Caribbean Princess, Part 5

Still Wednesday, April 23, St. Maarten

After a wonderful, relaxing day spent in St. Maarten, we set sail again around 6pm, right around the time we met Paul & Pauline for dinner in the Palm dining room. Funny thing this "anytime dining"; every day we called for a dinner reservation, and every day we were told "we're full", yet every night when we showed up prepared to wait, we were whisked right in, and the dining room was half empty!
Aside from the reservation mystery, we had no complaints with the dining room food or service, and this night was no exception. We all had a delicious beef pot roast, and I had the Love Boat Dream again for dessert!

After dinner, the 4 of us went to the Princess Theatre to see the highly recommended "Beatle Maniacs" show.
It comes highly recommended for a reason - it is GREAT! It was almost like experiencing the real Beatlemania, and my husband would know, because he actually spent a lot of his youth at the Cavern Club in Liverpool, watching the Beatles play live!

These performers looked and sounded like the real thing, right down to their individual mannerisms and fake Liverpool accents.
"John Lennon" was so uncannily like the real thing that it was spooky!
The music was absolutely fantastic, and they took us from the Cavern days, through HELP! and Sgt. Pepper, right up to Let it Be and Hey Jude.
We left the theatre an hour later, impressed and pumped, ready for the outdoor Tropical Island Deck Party up on Deck 15 and 16.

The party was already in full swing when we got there, the live pool band "Voltz" was playing, and everyone was given a Hawaiian lei, and invited to join in the dancing.
There was a limbo contest, the Dollar Dance, the Electric Slide, and eventually, a huge Conga line snaking it's way all around the deck.
We were given rolls of streamers, and on cue, everyone threw their streamers in the air, and they were caught up on the string which had been strategically strung across the deck, and the effect was wonderful!
The dancing and fun continued, under a canopy of coloured streamers waving in the warm night breeze.

The party hosted by the cruise staff, lasted until about 11pm, then the band changed to "Station 21", another excellent band from England, and they kept us on the dance floor enjoying Oldies from the 60's and 70's.
The two hubbies begged off early, but Pauline and I stayed until the end, dancing to our hearts' content!
When we couldn't dance anymore, we headed back inside and caught the end of Bert's last set in the Crooner's Lounge.
The crowd was sparse, but it made for a very quiet, intimate late evening with Bert, and he relaxed his hyper performance and just enjoyed entertaining us with whatever requests came from the audience.
This is one of the main reasons I chose this cruise, and I was enjoying it immensely!

When Bert's show ended around 12:30am, I wandered out to the pool area and the Movie Under the Stars.
I had read in the Princess Patters that there would be a late showing of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", and I wanted to see it again, and hoped that it would be the usual audience participation I'd come to expect from this quirky film. If any of you have ever seen the movie in the theatre in the 70's, with a bunch of weird people dressed in costumes, doing the "Time Warp", throwing rice and squirting water, well, you'll know what I mean.
I arrived in time to see "Brad & Janet" (Barry Bostwick & Susan Sarandon) standing singing in the rain, but alas, no crowds of people squirting water guns in the audience. In fact, I counted about 4 passengers tucked under pool towels on sun loungers, under the brightly lit pool area.
I decided I was just too tired to sit through the whole movie in the company of only 4 people, so I finally trudged off to bed, feeling that each day on this ship, there was just so much to do, and so little time.

donna