View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Background: The prevalence of motion sickness approaches 100%on rough seas.

Method: Data were collected on 260 passengers on an expedition ship traversing the Drake Passage between South America and Antarctica, during rough sea conditions. A standard scale was employed to record motion sickness severity.
I don't know what this vessel was, but at 250 passengers it could be as small as 200 feet long and four decks high. Considering a small vessel in one of the most notoriously rough spots in the world I am not surprised at this conclusion. I believe the study, but it implies that once you pass a certain amount of motion almost no one is immune to it. Small boats generally rock about the same no matter where you are because there isn't much distance between the fore & aft or top to bottom.

But we are talking about cruise ships or liners that are 1000 feet long and have stabilizers. And the area they are sailing is rarely as rough as Drake's passage.

Under what is considered rough for usual cruise conditions, I would say location makes a huge difference in a much larger vessel.