View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I don't know what this vessel was, but at 250 passengers it could be as small as 200 feet long and four decks high. Considering a small vessel in one of the most notoriously rough spots in the world I am not surprised at this conclusion. I believe the study, but it implies that once you pass a certain amount of motion almost no one is immune to it. Small boats generally rock about the same no matter where you are because there isn't much distance between the fore & aft or top to bottom.

But we are talking about cruise ships or liners that are 1000 feet long and have stabilizers. And the area they are sailing is rarely as rough as Drake's passage.

Under what is considered rough for usual cruise conditions, I would say location makes a huge difference in a much larger vessel.
I would say that your comments support the study and puts the urban myth of location in an even less creditable position.

If the smaller vessel pitches and rolls much more than a 1000 ft. cruise ship, that would equate to the larger ship sailing in 50ft. waves and 150 mph winds. It would be same as the smaller vessel sailing through Drake's Passage thus negating the length argument.

On the Golden Princess we hit seas out of Stanley with 115 mph winds and 50ft. waves. It did not make any difference where you were on the ship. The pitch and roll was the most that I have ever experienced.

All I can say is that if folks buy the location theory, then book an inside in the belly of the ship and hope for the best.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08