View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Transatlantic cruise on Norwegian Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
We will be on the Jewel on her transatlantic cruise in September and have a question about the ports. We normally mix walking around by ourself and taking shipexcursions and are wondering, which ports are the best for walking around by ourself and where shall we book excursions?

The ports are Lerwick (tendering), Reykjavik, St John´s and Halifax.

Any suggestions on what´s most worth seeing in each port?
We did a similar one on the Jewel the year she was new: 3 years ago; it was the best cruise we have done, and we have done a lot of them.

We didn't do St John's or Halifax, both sound great. In Reykjavik we walked into to town, with another couple we hired a taxi to show us around. I think we were with him a couple of hours, saw the entire area, loved his stories and would do the same again. Be prepared, it was a little pricey, but certainly cheaper than what others paid for their tours. Iceland is outrageously expensive. We didn't do any shopping, I guess, from what everyone said, we were smart.

Again, this is a great itinerary. Actually ours was Ireland(which was awesome) Iceland, Newfoundland (which we couldn't get into because of weather) and Rhode Island. I wasn't excited about Rhode Island, but ended up loving it with all the history etc.

Nita