View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Captain

We're not going to quit cruising, but fact of the matter is the lines and ships I like have priced me out of the market as far as being a frequent cruiser is concerned. And even the lines and ships I do not like much are getting close, when all their "extras" are figured in. One of the lines I frequently cruised in the past was Regent. Five years ago, we could go on a seven night cruise for around $2500 pp, and about everything onboard was included, so no big ship's bill at the end, except for shore excursions. Now, it has about doubled. We don't like big ships and crowds (a personal thing), and looking around at less inclusive lines leads me to suspect that they would be "budget breakers" too, when the final bill came in.

So in place of our former "summer cruise" we have rented a 2200 sq. ft. house for a week near the beach in Destin, FL along with a couple of adult kids for $300 pp, plus $600 pp air fare, and about $75 pp car rental. At land retail prices, our "bar bill" won't exceed $75 pp at the local grocery store, and the house has a full kitchen and laundry facilities, so food won't be much either.

A bit later, and under the heading of "culture" we will attend the National Convention of one of the major political parties (I won't say which) where my wife is a delegate from our state. Similar price structure, with air being a bit less, and hotel being a bit more, with no rental car expense as a shuttle will be running, and no food or "beverage" expense, as it is pretty well provided for delegates and spouses.

The way prices have increased on the cruise lines I like caused me to re-think my travel planning. I agree with DayvidB, in that we enjoy cruises that have more port time than the average. But it is price, and not port time, that has made us re-think the matter -- and cruise less and do more domestic traveling.