View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Originally Posted by vandutch
wow. I just got off the phone with the company. I explained that I was staying with some family there. They didn't ask about cruise ships at all. Anyways, the price difference was only $20 per person compared to the price of the cruise excursion.

CanCanCase, does that sound correct to you? very surprising. I was expecting $75 to $100 possibly.
I suppose so... Sometimes when a vendor gets an "exclusive" tour contract, they can dramatically reduce their rates for the cruise ships to allow a fair commission and not fear the competition. Since nobody else offers a similar tour with the extended trekking portion, I would guess this is the case.

Another good example is a 4-hour sport fishing tour... via Princess, it's $199, and if you call them direct, they'll still quote $199. The real savings comes into play when you realize you can call any of about 20 boats directly - at least a few are bound to quote you a much lower price for the same (equivalent) tour. In your case, there isn't another company offering an "equivalent" tour, so that may just be the way it is.

For $20 difference, I might opt to book via the cruise line, especially if time was short on either end of the tour.

The only way to keep everyone happy is to delete my signature completely.
If anyone wants advice from a life-long Alaskan resident, please don't hesitate to ask.