View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: economy effecting cruise numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
With the down turn in the economy, I would expect to be seeing more last minute deals. So are the numbers still holding strong?

Also, from time to time posters who obviously have inside information on the industry speak about routes being discontinued, cut-back, etc. because these were not profitable. Is this based on occupancy solely or do different ports have different fees that make for more expensive routes.

Just being nosey - in my last life I was a cat, thus the curiosity.
The first casualty I have seen is Celebrity backing out of Australia/New Zealand for 2009 and relocating their two ships to the east coast. Bookings were very light and the high cost of airfare contributed to the low bookings. There were also Princess and Royal Caribbean ships doing Australia/New Zealand cruises and HAL doing a couple.

The hold of NCL's F3 ships is also, in my opinion, a direct result of a downturn in the economy.

I believe you will see more "Homeland Cruising" and I am really wondering how South America cruises will fare this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they are next to be curtailed, followed by Europe. The Caribbean, Mexico and Alaska are going to be hot.

In regard to discounts, I am seeing some excellent deals on Caribbean and Mexican Riviera cruises. There are also some phenomenal deals on Transatlantic cruises. You can sail from Lisbon to Santos on Splendor of the Seas for about $300.

If you can afford the airfare and have the time, you can really get a deal on some cruises.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me