Thread: corking fees
View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2008, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
I'm surprised they make exceptions for wine as opposed to other alcohol...Maybe it's soley because they can collect the corking fee. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy wine too and some have a hard time accepting this but wine really is just booze. It always amazed me in California, winery owners were looked at like some kind of Gods or something...In truth, they are just glorified, more wealthy farmers...It's just a fancier form of agriculture even though none of them are the ones getting their hands dirty, trust me!
This I can explain. The Paris Wine Tasting of 1976 or the Judgment of Paris is what bring California wines to the glorified state they currently enjoy. The Paris Wine Tasting of 1976 was a wine competition organized in Paris on 24 May 1976 by Steven Spurrier. Blind tasting was performed so that none of the judges knew the identity of what was being tasted.

The Californian wines won French judges just like them better.
Here is a link to the original Times article from 1976. http://www.montelena.com/our_winery/paris.html
This is my favorite part:

Gallic Gems. As they swirled, sniffed, sipped and spat, some judges were instantly able to separate an imported upstart from an aristocrat. More often, the panel was confused. “Ah, back to France!” exclaimed Oliver after sipping a 1972 Chardonnay from the Napa Valley. “That is definitely California. It has no nose,” said another judge – after downing a Batard Montrachet ’73. Other comments included such Gallic gems as “this is nervous and agreeable,” “a good nose, but not too much in the mouth,” and “this soars out of the ordinary.”

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994