Thread: corking fees
View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
This I can explain. The Paris Wine Tasting of 1976 or the Judgment of Paris is what bring California wines to the glorified state they currently enjoy. The Paris Wine Tasting of 1976 was a wine competition organized in Paris on 24 May 1976 by Steven Spurrier. Blind tasting was performed so that none of the judges knew the identity of what was being tasted.

The Californian wines won French judges just like them better.
Here is a link to the original Times article from 1976. http://www.montelena.com/our_winery/paris.html
This is my favorite part:

Gallic Gems. As they swirled, sniffed, sipped and spat, some judges were instantly able to separate an imported upstart from an aristocrat. More often, the panel was confused. “Ah, back to France!” exclaimed Oliver after sipping a 1972 Chardonnay from the Napa Valley. “That is definitely California. It has no nose,” said another judge – after downing a Batard Montrachet ’73. Other comments included such Gallic gems as “this is nervous and agreeable,” “a good nose, but not too much in the mouth,” and “this soars out of the ordinary.”
Katlady, that winning Stag's Leap was a wonderful wine. It was a great Cabernet and drinkable though young. It only cost around $5. In the years since, I have regretted not stocking up on that wine. Now, Stag's Leap is not affordable given its well deserved reputation.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14