Thread: Tipping
View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
You were more than generous and the steward was just giving you a sob story to get more of your money. If the Head Housekeeper knew he was doing this he'd be cleaning the washrooms or stuck on the lower decks. It is completely unacceptable. You basically tipped him $744 for a two week cruise. (4X$140)+50+134)=$744. $134 is based on current exchange rates.

Mike
Mike I agree the sob story is like the days of old before the service charge to make sure they were not stiffed.

Your math however I have a concern with. The Room steward does in fact gets a percentage of the $10 pp. Best case $2-$3. Normally thee are two stewards and that is split but they have more cabins. At $2 and ten cabins he would make $280 for two weeks work. That represents almost all of his income. You want the job ?

New Year you were very generous and that is a good thing. But I also think he worked you a little bit and that is not a good thing.
Shoreguy, good comments, I wish we actually knew who get what, regardless we do, normally tip above and beyond but did not on our recent Spirit cruise. I know our cabin stewards had approximately 29 cabins to clean so were rushed, but there were so many little things, we just could not justify another $1.00. I did let NCL know, I thought the cabin stewards had too many cabins. That being said we had friends in our group who had stewards with the same number or cabins that did get good service.

Nita