View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: WESTERN CARIBBEAN CRUISE WITH 9 MONTH BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanya rembacz
Hello all,

My husband and I will be taking a cruise with our daughter who will be 9 months when we travel. We are cruising to the western caribbean, roatan island, belize and cozumel are our ports of call. My main concern is getting around once we get off the ship, since we wont have a carseat for taxis or in buses. How are the water taxis in belize? Do they travel very fast? Does anyone have any recommendations to further the articles which are already posted on this topic? We would most like to take beach excursions, but would prefer to avoid unecessary travelling on shore. In cozumel is it true there are beaches right by the pier? What about in Honduras? We took a cruise for our honeymoon 3 years ago and we stopped in honduras, I found the drive to tabyana beach along the mountainous road to be a bit scary, are there any alternative beaches that don't take that route or is there anything to do righ by the pier? In Belize the excursions mention that boat rides to the beaches are 45 minute rides each way - what type of ride is it? Are they speed boats? I may sound anal, but I just want to be prepared so we can forgo certain excursions if we feel they are unsafe. I look forward to hearing some feedback. Cheers.
Here are my thoughts: Cozumel, I would take a taxi to Chankanaab National park. It is about a 10 minute ride, no car seats for little ones but the drivers are pretty careful and the beach really nice. Belize, someone else will have to fill you in on that one, I am not a Belize lover so would rather not say much. As for Roatan, you are right, that ride is a bit scarey and I was raised going up and down mountains in California. There are other beach areas that are a bit easier to get to. Again, you will need to hire a taxi or van when you get in port or check the ports a call threads to see what is available. I do not think you are bing anal, your concerns are real. Of course we raised our kids without car seats, or any such thing, but that was then, this is now.

Nita