Thread: Man overboard!!
View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:05 PM

I have been watching this thread and the news postings about the young man who went overboard from the Sensation pretty closely. We were on the Sensation in September and since we cruise the same ships frequently, we were wondering who the "Carnival Singer Dancer" was and if we would recognize him. We have frequently seen dancers from one ship on other ships a year or two later and recognized them. So today, I finally noticed his name and googled him (Antonio Matabans) and found a photo of him at the following link:,
My DH and I recognized him immediately and both believe he was the lead singer in the production shows. We had commented that he was probably the best male lead singer we had seen on any of our cruises.

The more we have thought about this tragedy, I remembered an incident on our 2nd cruise several years ago on the Fantasy. It was about 2:00 am on our last night at sea. My DH and I two sisters and and brother-in-law don't drink much and we had only had 1 or 2 drinks during the show earlier that evening. We found ourselves on aft deck of the ship drinking coffee, not wanting our last night to be over.

My B-in-law leaned against the rail, slightly, and there was some sort of gate section that began to give way under his weight. Of course, it scared all of us. We had almost forgotten about it, but now it seems probable to us that this would have been where the young man may have gone overboard. Such a tragedy.
Been there - done that:
2003 Holiday
2004 Fantasy
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days