View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Ihp my brother has Autism to his is pretty severe. He has been on a cruise before. But only one my parents can drive to port for. Can you son fly? Have you had any problems with it? My brother doesn't talk, is afraid of dogs and loud noises. We are concerned that if a child starts crying on the plane, my brother will freak out and it could be a huge problem.
You are correct to think ahead about issues like this that will freak him out.

Our son is 17....next month will be his 30th Carnival Cruise. Camp Carnival (now Club O2) has always been wonderful with him.

Our son is high functioning and he will fly....but we are constantly aware that if we don't fly direct...that he might not get on the plane at the connecting flight.

We almost had that problem coming back from New York last year....while we were waiting for our connection...something got him upset and I did not think we would be able to get him on the plane. Fortunately, we were able to get him calmed down enough to continue on.

Our son will not eat in a restaurant. We either have to eat in the car (like at a Sonic) or bring it back to the house.

As I tell other parents....you just have to know your child and be as prepared as you can be.

Our biggest obstacle on the cruise ship is the mascot. Our son has panic attacks around mascots. When Funship Freddie came out.. we thought we would have to stop cruising. But Corporate made arrangements for us to have Freddie's schedule before we board.

Since Freddie is only out 30 minutes a day...we simply stay away from where he is going to be. We have been blessed to be able to use it as a teaching tool to teach our son to :compensate: (remove himself safely from the situation) over the years....but it has taken YEARS to get him to this point.

The Cruise Directors at Carnival (and Entertainment Staff) are all like his big brothers and sisters....they know him and look out for him.

This past year, our son has gotten where he won't eat in the formal dining room. Carnival has tried everything to accomodate us to help him feel more comfortable....but it seems to be getting worse instead of better.

He will eat on Lido (no problem) and loves room service....but the noise from everyone talking in the formal dining room just unsettles him for some reason.

And heaven help us if we come across a FAKE SHARK!!!

We are blessed with the opportunity to share his life and blessed again with the means and ability to care for him.

And his "joke of the day" is not to be missed......

Why did the muffler fall off the car?
It was exhausted.....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND