View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Progresso Mexico Beaches..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeandKelli
Hi everyone;

We are looking at booking a cruise that stops at Progresso, Mexico. We like beaches and snorkeling. I see Carnival offers a shore tour called Corona Beach Break for about 40.00 p/p. Are there beaches right near the ship or is this a good shore tour to book? We would like something where we could buy a drink or two and lounge around. 8)

Any help would be appreciated!

Lee & Kelli
We have been to Progresso many times and this is a port that you can easily do on your own. No need for a Carnival tour to go to the beach.

When you step off the ship....you will walk through a little "village" (some shops and a couple of tent bars)....you will get on a FREE shuttle bus that will take you into town.

The FREE shuttle bus drops you off at a straw market.
If you walk to the corner...take a left ...you will see the water and beach at the end of this road.

When you walk to the beach you will see a "beach club" where the road bends to the right.... this is where Carnival would have sent you for $40 and you can get there for free.

I don't know what else the $40 covers...but if you just want to have a beer or two...this is the cheapest way to go.

This road continues along the beach. Hubby and I walked it earlier this month....all the way to the end. There are some older homes that are kinda cool looking at the end. One word of warning...there is a large yellow building on the beach that is run (or owned) by an American.
While it looks very nice and clean (and I am sure it is) ....there have been many complaints about this place padding their bill.

This guy is outside "hawking" his place all day about clean restrooms, toilets with real toilet seats and toilet paper...and apparently people trust him because he is an American. So be aware....

Another neat thing to do is pay $2 per person and take the 20 minute tour on the double decker bus. It just gives you a nice informational tour of Progresso and some history. And it is only $2!

You can also get massages on the beach for $10 -15 dollars for like 30 minutes so something like that.

Unfortunately, this is not the "clear, blue Caribbean water" kinda beach...
the water will be murky...so do not plan this as your "beach day"...

but there are several good places to grab a beer and enjoy the sun and sand.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND