View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Formal Nights

Parrot Mom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Ah Norm... we were on the Constellation in September and Parrot Pop was NOT out of place wearing a black jacket and pants..We were not drummed out of the dining room..there were a few others dressed less formally..i.e. without a jacket..and NOBODY, I repeat NOBODY at our table for eight wore a tux.. and these were certainly experienced cruisers.. We will being doing the Pacific Princess shortly and Parrot Pop will bring his dark and light sport jackets.. and even, I repeat even.. on an NCL cruise with freestyle dining he will do the same t hing.. The hassle of bringing a tux or renting one is a bit much for u s.. and as somebody said is "old hat'..did it for more than 20 years..enough..Oh yes.. I will be dressed to the "nines"..
Yes, you are correct that a "tux" is not strictly necessary. The dress standard for the "formal" evenings is what's now called "modified black tie" -- which means that gents may wear either a dinner jacket outfit (or tuxedo) or a dark business suit and ladies may wear either a full length dress or a formal cocktail dress.

I do think that most passengers on Celebrity tend to be a bit dressier than most passengers on Princess, though the short cruises (four or five nights) in the Caribbean aboard MV Century may well be an exception.

Norm.