View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Drunken college student survives fall from 6th floor balcony

We hear so much of cruise ship OB's. This is the second spring breaker to OB in three days. The first landed in the sand dunes. This one on an awning.

This used to be the Hilton on St Pete Beach. I worked there as the Tanning Consultant and cabana boy from 84 to 94.

Man showing off for a woman falls six floors from St. Pete Beach hotel balcony and survives

ST. PETE BEACH — He wanted to show a woman afraid of heights that it was safe to stand on a sixth-floor hotel balcony.

Instead, the man fell five stories onto a second-floor concrete ledge Tuesday night, the hotel president said today.

The unidentified man survived and was flown to Bayfront Medical Center, where he is recovering this morning, authorities said.

Police are still investigating the incident, which happened around 11:15 p.m. at the Grand Plaza Beachfront Hotel.

The man was not a registered guest, said James Kotsopoulos, president of Grand Plaza Resorts Inc. He was visiting someone staying in the room he had met earlier that night and brought some women with him, Kotsopoulos said.

One of the women said she was afraid to be so high up, so the man said, "Don't be afraid,'' and leaned back against the railing, Kotsopoulos said.

Hotel staff quickly got onto to the ledge through a room to keep the man from falling again, Kotsopoulos said. He was responsive when paramedics arrived, he said.

The company has never had a similar incident in 30 years of business, Kotsopoulos said.

Hotel guest Lori Hawkins was in a nearby room on the fourth floor. "I heard someone yell, 'Don't do it, don't do it,' and I heard this big clump. I didn't think it was something bad, then I looked out the corner of my hotel," she said. "I'm on the fourth floor and I saw this guy laying there and he started moving. He fell off from the sixth floor — that's kind of scary."

It was the second time in two days that someone showing off fell from a Florida hotel balcony and survived.

On Monday, Ross Skarda of Arlington, Texas, was found by Panama City police in sand dunes and sea oats next to his beachside condominium. A police spokesman said Skarda was showing off for friends and went over the edge when the chair he was standing on slipped from under him.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10