View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Beginner

UPDATE:

Just got back from our Disney Cruise (4 Day).

Here's my opinion of the Disney Wonder vs. RCCL Liberty of the Seas.

Went with DW, DS-14, DS-11, DD-9.

The Wonder is a polar opposite ship from the Liberty Ship.

Ship.. First thing was that upon leaving the port and heading to Nassau and back, the Wonder rocked heavily. I mean I had to buy the wrist band motion sickness bracelets for 2 of my kids. On the Liberty, the wife and I would lay in bed and you could barely feel the ship rocking. On the Wonder, it made a lot of people nauseated. So, I asked our room attendant if the swaying was more that normal. She said no, it was the usual swaying. I also asked the servers at dinner and got the same response.

The H20 zone on the Liberty is far superior to the kids pool and slide on Wonder. If Liberty had a slide, that would be the ultimate.

The kids movies on the screen above the Goofy pool were cool on the Wonder along with the camera views of the deck parties.

Service... I found the servers and room attendant on the Liberty to be more friendly than on the Wonder. Our Liberty crew was interested in us as people,what we did for excursions, told us about their families, showed my kids magic tricks and really connected with us. Our Wonder crew seemed interested in doing just enough to satisfy our needs. One of the mom's traveling with us put out the luggage on the last night and remembered not 10 minutes later that she forgot shoes for her 7 year old daughter for debarkation. She opens the door and the luggage is gone. She finds the room attendant and was told "sorry, there is nothing I can do". That was not right since the luggage was all stacked inside an access room waiting to be packed away in bins. She could have gone the extra mile and helped the mom get her daughter's shoes. Instead we had to go to lost and found to say we lost a pair of shoes on deck. We found another kids pair of flip flops (not hers) that were a size too small and that's what she wore on debarkation.

Entertainment... Disney was far superior in this regard. Their broadway style shows were fabulous. We saw Golden Mickeys, Toy Story and Dreams and the whole family loved it. Disney's Sail Away Party, Pirates Party with Fireworks, and Farewell Show on the last night were awesome. We also saw "Race to Witch Mountain" with the kids for free.

Kids Program... The Disney program was more varied and entertaining for the kids. My DD-9 had more fun with the Disney Program than she did with the Royal. Disney also went the extra mile in taking care of my 2-1/2 year old niece that was going through the terrible 2s phase. That patience earned the staff $30.00 in I-tunes gift cards from us.

Food... I would say the quality of the Royal food was a little better than Disney. But, the kids loved getting free Mickey Bars with Sprinkles for dessert every night. Also, Disney has the free soda and ice cream station on deck 9 that was a hit with all the kids. Royal charged us for fountain drinks and had to bring our mugs along.

Exclusive Island... Disney has Castaway Cay, Royal has Labadee. CC was more family friendly with a huge beach with snorkeling adventure to take the kids on (find the ship, find Minnie, find Mickey), a kids friendly stingray adventure, plus an adults only beach. Labadee has the Dragon's Breath zip line for the older kids and adults. Disney's Food program on the island is superior to Royals. We loved the BBQ ribs and chicken on the island (better than in restaurant).

Overall, if Disney had the Liberty ship, they would corner the market. Hopefully, they will have that with the new ship coming out in '11.

We were considering a 7 night cruise for next year, but after the ship rocking as bad as it did, we will probably wait for their new ship.