View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Balabusta,

Fran loves Marshall's and so do I. We were in the one in Va. Beach last Fall but nothing caught our eye. But I have purchased a $560 suit (and it was a $560 dollar suit 'cause I used to sell suits) fifteen years ago at the Marshall's in Poughkeepsie and I paid just under $100.00 for it. They don't seem to have the stock they once had because the same thing (slim pickin's) happened in Staten Island last summer.

The thing I just cannot believe are the folks who pay tons of money for junk, just because of the name. Fran has a $350 Gucci handbag that was a gift and it's PLASTIC!! Think that's bad enough? Someone gave her a coordinating wallet and it was $125.00! It too is plastic!

All of which reminds me, we were in Bed Bath and Beyond this afternoon to pick up some coffee for our coffee machine and in the front of the line was a woman with a huge basket full of expensive items (evidently her husband is immune to the Recession). Anyway, she was about 52 or 53 which is fine, except she was trying to pass for thirty. She had diamonds on several fingers that would choke the proverbial horse, blonde frosted hair that was far too long for a woman her age, so thin everywhere except her chest that she looked almost anorexic and of course was wearing designer jeans so tight if probably took her a half hour in the bathtub to get 'em on. She was also wearing a white shirt over which she had on her black jacket (even though it was about 77 outside) with the Ferrari logo on the front and California written on the back. She was syrupy sweet with a condescending attitude that flashed neon. I quietly remarked to Fran that with people such as that around, one needn't look up the definition of pretentious. I guess my remark was not as quiet as I thought. The two standing behind us in line (an also obviously well heeled woman with her twenty something daughter) evidently overheard my remark and started laughing so hard I thought both of them would choke. Fran said I turned beet red but I needn't have worried. The commotion went right over Mrs. Ferrari's head.

Dontcha' just love people watching?

Todd