View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Familiar Face

I'm sorry but I feel compelled to dispel the many untruths you have posted.

Norovirus is the actually thought to be the most common group of illnesses, even believed to be one of the millions of causes of the "common cold"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser00
It is really interesting to me to hear from "experienced" cruisers how almost all have come to accept the norovirus as a normal occurrence (expectation) on cruise ships. While I may not be experienced in cruising, I think any hospitality organization that has come to accept 3% sickness of their clients as a pain threshold must care a lot more about their bottom line than the comfort of their customers.

Did you READ the CDC website?? Norovirus is a COMMUNITY ACQUIRED VIRUS....meaning you get it from other infected people!!! Per the CDC website. "People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least 3 days after recovery. Some people may be contagious for as long as 2 weeks after recovery. Therefore, it is particularly important for people to use good handwashing and other hygienic practices after they have recently recovered from norovirus illness."

This means people come aboard harboring the virus and it spreads like wildfire! Also, the only thing that kills norovirus is BLEACH. That means all the sanitizer, lysol, etc in the world will not kill the virus. Handwashing prevents the spread because handwashing cleans by mechanical action. Simply put, soap makes your hands too slick for germs to stick, so the act of lathering up and rinsing makes the germs slide off your hands. If the germs aren't on your hands, you can't eat them to make yourself sick.

"Their idea of quarantine: let's take a person with no symptoms and isolate them in a cabin with someone that is throwing up violently and having their intestinal plumbing system completely evacuated."

Again, per the CDC
How do people become infected with noroviruses?
Noroviruses are found in the stool or vomit of infected people. People can become infected with the virus in several ways, including:

eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus;
touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth;
having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill).

I am a healthcare worker and I will tell you this. You don't have to share ANYTHING with an infected person to be exposed. Just being around an infected person is enough. This illness is extremely easy to spread. The number of infectious organisms you must be exposed to before becoming ill is VERY LOW compared to other illnesses. Most illnesses require millions of infectious organisms to make you sick, this one requires only a handful.
Therefore, if your child was sick, and you have been breathing anywhere near your child, you have been exposed. To limit exposure to others, you must also be quarantined. Sucks for you, but in the end it's better for all of your shipmates. You would appreciate this if you were on the other end of the stick.

"Their idea of communication: not letting anyone know how many people on board are sick, but making announcements letting people know of a GU illness (they were very careful to avoid using the words "virus" or "outbreak")"

This is because they try to make announcements easily understood by all passengers. That means they dumb it down to third grade level. The CDC specificially writes their explainations of diseases to be on a third grade level. Does that make them guilty of "lack of communication"? And what difference does it make how many are sick? It only takes ONE person to be ill to spread the virus!

"Their idea of containment: shoving Purel and Handi-wipes in your face at every turn, but never communicating what it is that they were really trying to contain and how it is actually spread"

This is a common practice on all cruises, as well as many land based restaurants, and hospitals. If people washed their hands after using the toilet, picking their nose/butt/shoelaces/etc then the disease rates for all illnesses would be MUCH lower. This is good hygiene, period. Not specifically related to Norovirus. You and all of your shipmates should be glad they offered this. It is for YOUR protection!

"The good thing is that to my knowledge, the NoroVirus has never killed anybody -- although I am sure there have been a lot of sick people on RCI ships that wish they could just die and be put out of their sick misery.

Everyone should learn to expect more from a luxury cruise line and not drink the kool-aid they are being fed![/quote]

Not true, people DO die from Norovirus, just like they die from the flu or chicken pox. Children and the elderly are especially vulnerable, as well as anyone who is immunocompromised, as is true of any illness. It normally does not kill healthy people. Again, Norovirus is a COMMUNITY ACQUIRED ILLNESS.....NOT RELATED TO A CRUISESHIP!!!

RCL is not a luxury line. It was not their fault anyone had Norovirus. It wasn't put in the Kool Aid.....political or otherwise.

However, as I have had norovirus before, I am sure your suffering was very real, and I sure hate to hear that your vacation was ruined. I, too, felt that I would like to have been put out of my misery when I had noro. However, I KNOW I was infected doing patient care on someone who did not tell anyone he was ill, and in turn infected over 100 employees at my institution of employment several years ago.

I will end by saying it is never wrong to practice good hygiene.

HANDWASHING is the SINGLE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF INFECTION!!
Monarch OTS over and over and over again
Carnival Imagination 5/2009
Oasis OTS 2/2010
Grandeur OTS 3/2010