View Single Post
Old April 19th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Familiar Face

Default Zuiderdam Panama Canal Cruise

I too thought HAL was a fine cruise line. We just completed our 5th HAL cruise aboard the Zuiderdam. The third day of the cruise my friend fell and was terribly injured. She did receive very good medical care on board. We had arranged Air transport through HAL and were given a schedule home from Ft. Lauderdale to Minneapolis to NY. We had repeatedly asked for a change before we left for the cruise as this was flying and airport time of 12 hours. They refused any change. After the accident I begged them to alter the Air schedule as my friend was in pain and could not sit for that time due to her knee, as well as her face, being injured. They finally offered us first class direct flight for a total of $500 per ticket in addition to what we already paid. This would have been $850 total one way each.
We ended up medicating my friend to get her through the flights and airport waits. In addition, I was assured a wheelchair and help with luggage would be waiting for us on the pier when we left the ship. Nothing was arranged. I must commend the pier personnel for helping us on the spot when they saw my friends injuries.
The entire way the front desk staff handled this situation was more than outrageous, it was neglegent and heartless. We received a plate of chocolate by way of any concern for a 75 year old woman injured on a HAL ship.
I don't think there is any doubt that HAL could care less for their passengers. By the way, we were also traveling with a child to add to the situation we had to deal with coming home.