View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Familiar Face

I stopped in Dakar off a Holland America cruise a year ago.

Though I am glad I saw this port...and the folks who took the Pink Lake Tour had the most wonderful of times...I would never want to go again.

I took the expensive [$89] tour on a ferry boat to the little [fake] Slave island with a [fake] slave trading post...and it was a neat island to have seen. BUT...guests I met on the cruise were on the same ferry on their own for just a few bucks! Turns out that this slave trading post saw less than 300 slaves in it's useful time?

Unfortunately later I was hassled by a local who tried to "show us around" and when we finally offered him a few dollars to go away he said it was not enough and physically threated us and I thought "this is it...I am going to die in Dakar". We out ran him and went right back to the ship. No...I am not a senior traveler or yuppy tourist. I am a single 40 year old short little guy...nor did this didn't happen on a side street, but in the middle of a large open public park like square.

So...everyone has different views and is looking for a different experience. This was mine... Morocco...take me there! Dakar seems like just a pit stop for fuel and supplies.

HLR
NCL Spirit November 2006
HAL Rotterdam April 2007
NCL Spirit August 2007
Caribbean Princess May 2009
NCL Star RFamilyVacations July 2009
Carnival Glory July 2010