View Single Post
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM
First Mate

Default Formal Wear Question

We were on a 33 day South Pacific cruise and a 38 day South America cruise, all since September. I can't count the number of formal nights on those two cruises. However I can count the number of passengers that observe the formal dress codes on those night. NOT VERY MANY A young man wearing a shirt, tie and jacket would be great. In fact if there are a lot of children aboard he may very well be the best dressed. For males wearing a dark business suit was fit right in with formal night. We can only recall seeing less than a dozen men dressed in formal suits. The females dress a little better and many while wearing nice dresses were a long way from having formal wear on. This subject was discussed more than once at dinner and the general opinion of many seems to be one of "no concern at all". When you are on the Amsterdam where almost the entire crowd is seniors and an average age of over 70 and you don't have a lot of people dressed in formal wear, I think you will have to conclude that times have changed. Perhaps not for the better, but changes are here. Have a great cruise.