View Single Post
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Admiral

Default Carnival Freedom Review, Part 4

Carnival Freedom Part 4
Tuesday May 26, 09
St. Thomas U.S.V.I.

When I awoke at 7 a.m. we had already docked in St. Thomas, and after a quick breakfast, we were off the ship by 8:30.

On the dock we looked for our online, pre-booked tour with Sunny Liston Tours. One bus took a group of people downtown shopping, and another bus took us (alone) to Coki Beach.

This was our first visit to Coki Beach, and it won't be our last. It was a beautiful beach, clean, clear, calm water, and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Beach chairs were only $5 as opposed to the $10 charged at some other beaches, and Bailey's Bushwackers were $8 but worth every penny, they were so good!
Beach waiters, most apparently ex-pats, wandered the beach taking drink and food orders all day. They also brought us free samples of drinks to try, which was nice.
Food was expensive, with cheeseburgers and chicken wraps at $10, but they were delicious!
It was a very pleasant beach day, with little bother from vendors, and low music playing in the bar/snackbar, which was unobtrusive, not like the blaring rap and reggae at some beaches!

This was the beach where I decided to write my traditional message to CruiseMates, this time, in the sand!

Back at the pier, I had a quick shopping spree at the Havensight Mall. Who would have believed that on a Caribbean island like St. Thomas, it would be so hard to find a bathing suit?!
I wandered from shop to shop to shop, and all I could find were teeny tiny crocheted bikinis, or men's board shorts.
I searched and searched for a simple 1-piece bathing suit, or preferably, a 2-piece tankini, but no luck.
Of course I had brought 2 bathing suits with me on the cruise, but once I got in the water I realized how terribly worn and stretched out of shape they were, and I spent time in each port looking for replacements - to no avail!

Back onboard, I found a little time to enjoy a swim and hot tub, and of course some frozen yogurt/ice cream.
Would somebody please explain to me why Carnival paints their hot tubs yellow? They look like tubs full of bubbling pee!

Around this time, I also noticed a broken window by the aft pool and hot tub. I don't know how long it had been broken, but it was cordonned off with yellow danger tape and some pylons. There appeared to be a small hole (bullet?) low in the window, while the rest of the window was completely shattered in a million little pieces. I'm surprised it did not fall out, and it was still there on our last morning when we docked in Fort Lauderdale.

It was an early shower, clean up and dress this evening, as we were to attend a 5:15 Repeat Passenger party.
At least that's what we thought it was, but it turned out to be more of a sales pitch for booking future cruises.
There was free wine and champagne served, but no h'or d'oeuvres or fancy cocktails.
Carnival does have some good deals for putting a down payment onboard and booking future cruises within the next 4 years.

Dinner this evening was again, very very good. We both enjoyed French Onion Soup, and I had a pretty tasty steak, while James tried the Jerk Pork.
My only complaint was that they just can't make Cheesecake like they do in Montreal, but I was so full I couldn't finish it anyway!

The Big Show tonight was called "Ticket to Ride", a salute to the Beatles.
We arrived early to get good seats, and enjoyed a 1/4 hour of old Beatles tunes, then a 1/4 hour of old film clips, facts and music on the big screen, very enjoyable to us. My husband, who lived in the U.K. in his youth, had actually attended many of the Beatles' early shows at the Cavern Club in Liverpool, and it was fun for him to revisit those memories.

The show itself was outstanding, the song choices, the sets, costumes, and the performances excellent.
At the end, wait staff handed out Glow Sticks in the audience and there was a glowing standing ovation for the final number, Hey Jude. Total audience participation!

After the show, we headed back to our cabin, always easy to find at the bottom of the aft staircase, because on Verandah Deck 8, there was a large piece of abstract art depicting the Beatles and their music.
We always knew that when we found George and John on the right hand side, we were on the right side of the ship to find our cabin!

Good Night George, Goodnight John!

to be continued......tomorrow in Antigua.....

donna