Thread: The food on RC
View Single Post
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:43 PM
Passenger

You know asking about the "how good is the food?" is a question that can be answered many ways.

1.) If you're the kind of person who "Eats to Live" you're looking for healthy food. Whole grains, low-fat, low-calorie, low-carb, high-fiber, high in anti-oxidants and etcetera. People in this category have commented that the food doesn't make the cruise or please put the fat content and calories on the menu. If you're health-food eater you're looking for a cruise to cater to your tastes and offer plenty of healthy foods both on the menu and in the buffet and that's what constitutes "Good Food" to you. Unfortunately, most Americans don't eat this way. This is why most cruise lines offer only 1 healthy choice option on the Main Dinning Room menu. It's not to say that most Americans won't eat some healthy foods, but most don't want the entire meal to be, just healthy food.

2.) If you're the kind of person who "wants a deal in food" you're looking for quantity and selection of food. I have friends that when prime rib is on the menu and they order it they're upset if the slice of prime rib isn't 2-inches thick. The quality of the food isn't as important as the quantity and they want to feel they're getting their monies worth of food. I've seen posts were folks eat many more than 3 times a day and folks who've tried to eat their weight in food on a cruise (Gross!). Buffets are were these folks judge what's "Good Food" and what's not. Although there's plenty that go to the MDR and order 2,3 and 4 entrees and want service like they are the only ones in the dinning room. Read "Cruise Confidential" regarding how this behavior impacts the staff and other people in the dinning room.

3.) Then there are those who "Live to Eat" who look at food as an important part of their everyday lives. These are folks who value the quality of the food above all else. As an example, look at the difference in taste between a "middle of winter, hard as a rock, store bought" tomato versus a "home-grown, heirloom" tomato. There's a world of difference between these two pieces of food. Of course presentation and sufficient quantity are important to these folks. Long ago, when cruising was priced and aimed above the middle market, cruise lines used to buy some of the best quality food available to them. No longer, the shift to middle-market consumers and price competition between lines plus the added effect of the bean counters has made the quality of food a "race to the bottom". It doesn't mean that aren't good things to eat. Rather, the number of things that are of good to great quality are hard to find.

I apologize if I sound like I'm attacking a particular group, that's not my intention other than "eating your own weight (still gross)". I'm just trying to point out that when someone asks about "Good Food?" it really depends upon how you see food.