View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Captain

Default Re: AMAZON RIVER CRUISE

We sailed the Amazon River this past April. Manaus was such an intersting city - built on the banks of the river. It's a bustling old city. No bridges, buses or the like - they all travel in boats. Everyone has a boat to get from one side of the mighty river to the other, or from the East to the West (takes 5-days by their local 'ferry').

My partner took some incredible pictures on our cruise and they are available on Youtube. I'll take the liberty of posting it here (hope he doesn't mind) L O L . There are three vids, one of Manaus and two of the excursions we did in Manaus. HOT and HUMID! but beautiful there.

You can fish. I recall fishing excursions, specifically for Pirhana...you fish, clean and grill them. There were a couple of passengers we spoke with who did this excursion and loved it.

We didn't do the fishing, but were on the Lake January tour which was simply amazing!! The giant lily pads were beautiful. The River was just beginning to rise for the season. We also saw the meeting of the two waters which was incredible. The Rio Negro and the Solomese (sp?) merge to form the Amazon. Spectacular experience.

Enjoy the vid (we have more from the other ports as well if you're interested, PM me).