View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecru
Well I see the people on here do not get my point so this is my last comment. If I want to give my waiter let's say $4.50 a day and my stewart $5.50 a day I'm alright with that. My question is out of the $70.00 that is charged by CCL which is minimum tips for my services ($3.50,$2.00,$3.50,=$63.00) with and additional $7.00 being charged for each passenger for misc. Where is the $7.00 going? Are you sure it's a tip or is it subsidizing pay. When I questioned it I was told it was for the staff in the lido deck for bussing tables. Keep in mind theses workers are your assitance waiter. If you want to really find out, for those who have upcoming cruises on CCL or it's affiliates ask your assitant waiter (if you care about there treatment or pay) do they receive the extra tips? Maybe this is subsidizing there base pay for example 2500 passengers =$17,500.00 do the math. Someone replied that RCCL did the same thing, please go on RCCL.com and you will see you are wrong I just did Mariner last year and they gave me an option on how I wanted to pay (and they did not take it out without my approval) from my Sign and Sail or cash. Also if you choose
" just take it from my Sign and Sail" they give you a voucher to hand to your worker. One other thing for those that don't know CCL own Holland America Line, Cunard Line, Princess Cruises, Seabourn Cruise Line and Costa Cruises. and used to own NCL so if you witness this on any of these lines guess what it's still CCL. Keep in mind the object is the worker makes money not the cruisline. I owned a business for 17 years and I always made sure my employees got there tips furthermore I have never taken a tip or there tips.
I don't think it's the people on here that are misunderstanding.
According to Carnival website information- Gratuities consist of $3.50 per day for Stateroom service- $5.50 per day for Dining Room Service- $1.00 per day for Alternate services such as other kitchen staff and hotel service staff.
No one is doing anything underhand or double charging.
Subsidizing their pay?- well I'll explain it again so you understand... their salary structure consists of a very small basic salary - with the bulk of their pay designed to come from gratuities, which ensure good service. When these gratuities are removed it impacts negatively on the employee - ideally people only remove them when service has not met their expectations, which in my experience is rare. It's telling that the people who object to the gratuity system never object to it at the start of the cruise, only at the end once they have received the service....
I know what pay structures are and I understand what a tip is. Just do one thing on your next cruise if you can ask your asistant waiter if he or she get an extra tip in there pay or ask CCL where the extra dollar per day is going?