View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Captain

Hi Nancy, sorry for the late reply. For some reason I wasn't notified after your post.

We absolutely loved the Panama Canal cruise on =X=. Have to tell you we were a bit apprehensive getting off in Cartegena, but we did and had a great excursion. We did what was called, "Deluxe Cartegena". No, it wasn't a European tour traipsing through castles, but we did see the Spanish Fort and thought it was so amazing! Our small coach took us through town as well, and we also stopped at the Inquisition Palace, the tour there was a couple of hours.

Our final stop in Cartegena was a small shopping center, where emeralds, coffee and other artisan crafts were sold.

Celebrity and our tour operator made it very clear to NOT look at or engage in any conversation at all, with the street vendors. We didn't, but there were a couple who did and they were sorry, ! Our tour operator stopped by one of his "friends" or family member's kiosk and he sold coffee, etc., but it wasn't a hard sell.

Personally, I found the street "merchants" in Acapuulco to be far more pushy and insistent.

The Panama Canal was awesome! So very glad we stayed on the ship for our first transit through!

Thanks for asking, Nancy! 8)

PS- I posted a review on Cruisemates.