View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thasic
It would really be according to what you mean by disabled. In a wheelchair, no problem. Blind, okay. Now this is going to sound cruel but, a horrible disfigurement, some disgusting (although unavoidable and not intentional) habit or some such, man I'm moving. I paid big bucks for a cruise and sitting next to the Rainman ain't cutting it. Sorry. I know it may seem shallow, but I am not going to suffer just to appear noble when I'm on vacation.
It’s not being noble when you as a fellow human can accept others for all their frailties. So what you are saying is I can accept some of you, but not others in life, and especially when cruising,,,,,why... as I paid for this experience and given that,,,when on a ship reality in life should be different,,, and everyone is perfect, shame on that thinking

Sorry, that bubble if it exists should be BURST, as ships present the most diverse social vacation experience out there that you will ever meet, a captive audience, tight living and socially diversity. You cant just walk away, you deal with it or go into a personal bubble.

And thats the problem, more go into personal bubbles and dont accept the experience of others that may not their normal social profile

More and more lines are introducing ways of dining and removing the chance of potential people meeting, ie anytime dining, increased buffet areas etc. They have done this because some races and people are now so insolar that they cannot extend their lives to take in others,,,thats the biggest shame
On my last HAL cruise I ran into a little girl with autism. Her parents took her to the pool the day we were at Halfmoon Cay. She was loud but very happy. They spoke to me and apologized to me-they told me that they tried to pick at a time when most would not be there-so she could enjoy the pool. I told them, not to concern themselves, I did not mind happy sounds!

Now I did not have dinner with this fmaily, but something tells me, with their being so considerate and sensitive to others' feelings, that they would not have taken a table with strangers-I am sure they either specified a smaller table, or else one of them would stay with their child while the other attended dinner.

Now, this child WAS very loud-she may would have been hard for me to handle sitting with at dinner.

Now my friend's son that has autism, he is extremely quiet. He would not say a peep to me and he would not look me in the face for ages after I met this mother. He will now talk to me, and he is so sweet and loving, plus the boy is very bright, he is just uncomfortable around strangers. However, he would be no problem for strangers at dinner. He does not act out-he just becomes extremely quiet.

Anyway, my point, I guess it depends on the individual. Autism can be very different in different people.

Now Rainman, I think he would have been kind've fun to have for a dinnermate. I loved that movie.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014