View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Marty,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Tuxes on Carnival are not an endangered species, they are virtually extinct.
Somehow I'm not exactly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Again, those who want true formal nights can go with one of the more expensive cruise lines and be happy. But, NCL and Carnival both welcome a more casual atmosphere.
Factually, I have long advocated, and welcome, the fact that some of the major cruise lines have adopted a more casual style. OTOH, I really do NOT want to see the rest of the industry blindly follow their lead. Those of us who cruise frequently have a very diverse spectrum of personal styles, and cruise lines that differentiate themselves by their onboard style will attract a corresponding segment of the cruising population.

That said, I do think that we passengers should have some reasonable expectations.

>> 1. We should expect a cruise line to provide accurate information in before we book as to expected standards of both daytime and evening dress. We need this information so we can make a suitable choice as to cruse line, as well as so we can pack an appropriate wardrobe to bring on the cruise.

>> 2. We should expect a cruise line to enforce its stated standards of dress in a tactful, but firm, manner. If we sign up for a cruise that advertises true "formal" evenings, we have a right to expect that participants therein will be dressed appropriately because formal attire is a major contributor to the ambiance of the event, as this is a matter of truth in advertising. Nonetheless, it will happen only if the cruise line enforces the stated standards.

>> 3. We should expect a cruise line to use terminology in the standard way when describing its standards of dress. Standard terminology has very clear meaning, and corruption thereof causes confusion. By way of example, I applaud Carnival's change of terminology from "formal evenng" to "elegant evening" with the decision to abandon the traditional "modified formal" standard of dress.

Of course, conversely, we have obligations as passengers, too. First, we must do our homework before booking and choose a cruise line that meets our preferences as to style. Second, we must plan to conform to the stated standards of dress by bringing an appropriate wardrobe. If we make a mistake by booking on a line that has standards different from our preferences, we should follow the norms for the duration of the cruise, then do our homework more carefully and book the next cruise on a different line.

Finally, travel agents also have some responsibility here. Travel agents must ensure that their clients have accurate information and assist clients to choose the cruise line that is the best match for their preference of personal style. Travel agents who advise clients not to worry about the cruise line's published dress code do a disservice to both the clients and the cruise line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The days when anyone of class owned formal wear are over.
We probably could debate the nuances of that statement from now to eternity. By way of example, one could argue that ownership of formalwear is one of the hallmarks of real class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Deal with it.
But was this comment really necessary?

Really, most folks don't respond very well to a message shoved down their throats when they are spitting out the message along with the teeth that got knocked out of their jaws in the process.

Norm.