View Single Post
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Default Celebrity Constellation, Part 6

Celebrity Constellation, Part 6, Day 4
Thursday November 12, St. Thomas

We were up early on this morning as we had a tour booked. We had ordered a room service breakfast the night before, and it arrived right on time, and was served on our tiny balcony. The food was good, and so was the champagne!

Just before disembarking, the skies opened up and it poured heavily. It was still raining when we left the ship, but one of the perks of Concierge Class is that you get umbrellas in your cabin, so we put them to good use.

Fortunately, the rain didn't last too long, but it did remain cloudy most of the day in St. Thomas.
We had booked online with Sunny Liston Tours, to go to Coki Beach. As we were not a group, Sunny had his wife pick us up in their personal car, a Toyota Prius Hybrid, and we enjoyed a lovely chat with her on the 40 minute ride to the beach.

The beach was beautiful, the water warm and calm, and there were helpful accomodating staff on the beach, including not-too-pushy vendors.
The staff were more than happy to bring you a drink or a meal, and of course we had to have the St. Thomas specialty, Bushwackers!

Despite it being overcast, and a little sprinkly, I spent most of the time in the water, and it was a great spot for snorkeling.
Even though I didn't have a snorkel, I saw so many fish, especially when I used a package of breakfast cereal I had taken with me from breakfast.
Some people had dog biscuits as well, and we were amazed at being surrounded by beautiful colourful fish.
I could have rented snorkel equipment, but I really didn't need it. Chair rental was $5 and an umbrella was $10.
Because of his cast, James had to make do with a lounge chair on the beach and couldn't go swimming, but he was happy enough just to be by the sea.

Right next to this spot was Coral World, an underwater observation centre, which we didn't visit.

After our relaxing time on the beach, we were picked up on time by Sunny Liston himself, and were back at the ship by 3p.m.
There were seats available in the pool area as it was a port day, so I spent about 2 hours out by the pool , relaxing in the sun that finally shone through the clouds.

Dinner at 6:00, there were only 4 of us, as one couple was tired after their all day excursion and wanted to eat casual in the Seaside Cafe.
Our meal was wonderful once again, I had turkey parmagianna, and the desserts, as always, were to die for.

After dinner we went for a lovely stroll outdoors in the warm evening air, before going to see the evening's entertainment in the Celebrity Theatre.
Tonight's featured artist was Hyperion Knight (yes, that is his real name!), a virtuoso concert pianist who not only entertained, but educated the audience as well with his fascinating stories of the history and the personal lives of the classical composers he was playing. Great show!

After the show we wandered up to the Seaside Cafe for a late snack, and discovered, tucked in a deserted corner of the Grill, a Filipino guitarist named Eugene, who seemed to be channeling the voice of James Taylor, during an enjoyable set of James Taylor's songs.
We sat and enjoyed his performance, with very few other people.
Shame, because he was very talented, just not featured enough for people to discover him. We made a point of looking for him the rest of the cruise, as his "performances" were listed in the daily itinerary.
It was time to say goodnight once again, and off to St. Maarten tomorrow.....