View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Default Celebrity Constellation, Part 15, Conclusion

Celebrity Constellation, Part 15, Conclusion
Debarkation, Miami, November 22

The Crystal Serenity in Miami

Debarkation from the Constellation on this last morning in Miami, was calm, quiet, civilized and most efficient.

At 7:30 a.m. we were invited to Cinema 3 for a Continental Breakfast (coffee, tea, danish and croissants) while we sat in comfortable seats and watched CNN news on the big screen.
Periodically a crew member would enter and call luggage tag colours, and people left in groups to their "stations".
Our station was the comfortable Rendez-Vous Lounge, where we had a short wait until our colour tag was called and we proceeded in an orderly fashion to the exit. We were off the ship by 8:30 a.m.!

The baggage claim area was different from any I had previously seen; there were carousels like at the airport, divided according to the colour of luggage tags. You just had to find your colour and wait for your luggage to roll off the carousel - so much nicer than battling the crowds to find your suitcases in rows and rows of others.

The final exit and customs was quick, but waiting for a taxi took about 20 minutes, it was very busy. We were not taking a shuttle to the airport on this trip, having to stay one more night in Miami for a flight the next day.

If we ever do this again, I will make sure we pre-book some excursion or at least book a hotel close to some activity or even shopping, as we spent a very long, boring day at a hotel far away from everything.

In conclusion, our cruise on the Constellation was good, but not great.
The positives were the food, the service, the cleanliness of the ship, the friendliness of the staff, and the itinerary, which covered 7 islands and 2 sets of 2 sea days, before and after.
I like my sea days, but I also particularly like the islands of St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, Aruba and Curacao, and wouldn't hesitate to visit any of them again in the future.

The negatives, at least for us, were the complete lack of atmosphere, the "oomph" or the energy as my husband put it. Some entertainment was good, but most of it was either not of interest or poorly attended.

There just didn't seem to be much night life on the Constellation, and we found the same thing on another Celebrity ship, the Century, a few years ago.

However, in general, the Constellation was a beautiful ship, tastefully decorated and featuring some beautiful and some strange artwork throughout, including the interesting “hole in the floor” of the Seaside Café where you could watch the water under the ship:

the mysterious gorilla carrying a fish on the pool deck:

and this strange and colourful blown glass hanging fixture just outside the Bar at the Edge of the Earth:

Speaking of the Bar, it is supposed to be undergoing a complete renovation when the Constellation goes into dry dock in April, to rid it of it's rather strange Cirque de Soleil look and restore it to it's former beauty.

We did enjoy our cruise on the Connie, and would recommend it to those who prefer a quieter, laid back cruising atmosphere, combined with good taste and elegance - and great food!

THE END