Thread: Do i dare!!!
View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
I've sailed most of those, and there's no doubt in my mind that Conde Nasty IS an elitist magazine. That's why I take anything they print with a grain of salt. ;-)

"SKY"
Sky, I Could not agree more about taking any cruise rankings of ships with a huge grain of salt. If you are looking to find your favorite cruise line ranked at or near the top, all you have to do is just look around and you will find a cruise magazine that will probably do just that!

Many of those who do respond to these so-called polls are no doubt the same exact people giving the same exact high rankings, based of their memories of cruises long ago, to their favorite cruise line.

A couple of years ago, I remember reading a post from someone who cancelled his subscription to a cruise magazine because his favorite ship was not rated as high as he thought they should be. Go figure!!!!!

I remember a ship whose name I will not mention, that had been sailing for several years in really in very poor condition with fogged windows for more than five years in the observation lounge, rough unfinished wood surrounding the pool area, warn and stained furniture, stained sinks, hot tubs that only worked occasionally and a retractable pool roof that had remained stuck for five years. Even with all these faults this ship was ranked number eight in the world by the readers of Conde Nast. For me, that one ended any confidence that I would have in Conde Nast or any cruise magazine poll.

While there no doubt may be some useful articles in some cruise magazines, my opinion is that these polls are only of use for advertising campaigns by cruise lines that advertise a lot in a particular magazine and get high results from the readers in polls for their ships.

I must fall far short of elitist status, because I don't read or put a lot of faith in any of them.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com