View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Are you judging the service of t he ship on the syncronized service/butterfly service? It's very showy...
No, I'm not judging the service of the ship by the fact that the specialty restaurant no longer has synchronized service. I'm judging [i]the surcharge for dining in the specialty restaurant[i] by the fact that the specialty restaurant no longer has synchronized service.

Syncrhonized service takes a lot more coordination of a lot more staff to make sure that tables are sufficiently desynchronized so sufficient staff are available to provide that service when large tables require it. As a result, it may require additional staff -- which is why only the true luxury restaurants provide that level of service. The failure to provide synchronized service decidedly moves Celebrity's specialty restaurants out of that class. Thus, I can no longer justify paying the surcharge to eat there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
seriously...Also, can't believe people get excited when they get a towel animal on their bed at night..jezz.. we aren't kids. at least I'm not.. I'm sure it's somebody in the linen room who is doing them all...and our stewards/stewardesses don' have time..
The "towel animals" do reflect artistic talent on the part of the staff. I don't "need" them, but I do admire the talent that produces them.

On one solo cruise I had a cabin steward who was leaving various towel animals in my cabin every night. On Halloween morning, I decided to practice a bit of, ah, artistry of my own. Before I departed the cabin in the morning, a couple spare pillows that the steward had stashed in one of the storage cabinets went under the covers on the side of the bed that I did not use and a rolled beach towel from one of the animals got doubled over and draped from the pillow down the outside of the covers to look like a pair of somewhat disheveled blond pony tails. With the only light coming from the nightstand lamp on the opposite side of the bed, the effect was perfect -- it looked like a lady was still sleeping in the bed when viewed from the cabin doorway. Exiting the cabin, I went off to breakfast, greeting the cabin steward on the way out.

The effect, of course, was priceless. Opening the door to clean the cabin, the steward was absolutely shocked to see what appeared to be a woman in bed. That evening, she told me that it took her a few minutes, after she regained her composure, to figure out that there couldn't be anybody in the cabin and then to muster the courage to go in. She said that she had shown the ruse to her supervisor before making up the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
It is as you say.. the quality of service and food...Well Richsea..I am that old..lol.. the body is anyhow,but the mind has not gone and I still retain my sense of humor I hope and whatever youth I can.. I don't like to look back as others do..
The difference between a "premium" cruise line and a "mainstream" cruise line is, in real terms, like the difference between buying a Buick and buying a Chevrolet. Underneath, they are substantially the same product (chassis, drive train, etc.), but one expects to find a difference in quality (better fit and finish, superior upholstery, etc.) and additional standard equipment in the premium brand. In the same way, one expects a "premium" cruise line to do more frequent refurbishment of public spaces to keep them in superior condition and to provide the little extra touches that amount to "grace notes" -- accents like Celebrity's complimentary champagne at embarkation, refreshments and cold towels on the pier when returning from shore excursions, etc. -- that one would not find on a "mainstram" line. Additionally, a "premium" cruise line generally will appeal to passengers who have more refined tastes and more awareness of social graces than a "mainstream" line -- the "wine and cheese" crowd compared to the "pretzels and beer" crowd. The result is that "premium" lines generally will be dressier than "mainstream" lines, though there obviously are exceptions to this trend. In contemporary terms, by way of example, most "mainstream" lines now permit jeans and "T" shirts in the dining room on "casual" evenings whereas "premium" lines typically do not.

Norm.