View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Familiar Face

Default Query regarding an Option for Formal Nights

I hear that men who do not own, nor wish to purchase, a tux for formal nights are permitted to wear dark suits with ties. My question turns on an upcoming cruise (our first) on Holland America -- seven nights with two of them formal.

I am an Anglican priest, and my "normal" public wear goes by the name "clericals." They are black slacks (not jean material); mine are wool and have pleated fronts; a special shirt -- long or short sleeved depending on the season, with buttons covered by a strip of fabric; a "dog collar" as one is accustomed to seeing on Roman priests and most Lutheran priests as well; and a black coat. So, I'm entirely clad in black, no tie, but a clerical collar.

I expect cruise lines don't get overrun by Christian priests of any communion who would ordinarily dress this way (Roman, Anglican, Lutheran, many Presbyterians, and the Orthodox). But, perhaps some of you have observed someone dressed this way and noted how it was "received" by the ship staff.

The only thing more formal is a black cassock. And, yes, THAT would really stick out, and possibly be a tad warmish (it's 100 pecent wool), not to mention taking a lot of room in the luggage.

Any thoughts?