View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Henry43,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I posted this on another thread . Years ago it was the norm that men in business wear suits and ties everyday to work .I did this and liked the feeling of being dressed up. Approximately 15 years ago somebody came up with the idea of casual friday and casual friday became in many places casual wear monday to friday .Everyone that I worked with adapted to that and it became the norm.
The trend to "business casual" actually started in southern California well over thirty years ago, as it was well established in the San Diego area when I arrived in Coronado for the first time in 1980. The dress codes at the Officers' Clubs on the bases in the San Diego area was quite simple: (1) shirts with collars, (2) no jeans, and (3) dress shoes -- the same as the dress code for "casual" evenings when I first started cruising. In business offices in that area, men were pretty much dressing the same way.

Factually, the "high tech" revolution of the 1970's and 1980's was very instrumental in spreading the "business casual" culture nationwide. Many of the "high tech" outfits started on the west coast, where "business casual" had become normative, and thus adopted it as their corporate culture nationwide. The rest, as they say, is history.

That said, "business casual" attire should look neat.

Norm.