View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
The prettiest port you have visited...
Skagway, Alaska. The ride to Summit Lake and back on the White Pass & Yukon Route (WP&YR), which all of the major cruise lines offer as a shore excursion, offers absolutely breathtaking beauty that's absolutely unsurpassed by any other port of call that I have ever visitied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The one that was a big let down.....
Livorno, Italy, on my first visit there. Having heard that Firenze ("Florence") was known for outstanding art and beautiful gardens, I learned that (1) most of the art was in museums where we did not have time to see it and (2) the gardens, at least in the central area, were behind high stone walls between the buildings where we could not see them, the public courtyards being paved with stone right up to the buildings and the walls. And after seeing absolutely magnificent art in Istanbul, Pireaus, Barcelona and Montserrat, and Monte Carlo, what we did get to see in the Church of Santa Croce seemed absolutely anticlimactic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The most interesting....
Hmmm.... That's a tough one, but I'm going to go with Istanbul. It's a fascinating crossroad of east and west, the meeting point of two continents, teeming with history, culture, and magnificent art.

Norm.