View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:54 AM
Admiral

I met Wayman on one of the smooth jazz cruises and he was a pleasure to be in the company of and we chatted alot about the Tulsa Jazz Festival at which he performed at every year..he was able to make a very nice transistion from being a professional NBA player to a well loved and successful smooth jazz artist

Jazz speaks a universal language and brings together folks of all ages, colors, nationalities...i attended the montreaux jazz festival in 2005 and it is incredible how knowledgeable and appreciated Europeans are about America's music..much more so then in America..the world famous New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, for economic survival has less jazz every year and more alternative music and stars

Paul..as you well know the Norway for years hosted an annual jazz cruise (the founder of LLC organized it)..my Mom and my friends Mom were on it in the early 90's and had a special treat because AFI hosted a special tribute to honor the great legends of Jazz from the 30's and 40's (it was filmed for PBS but I could never find a copy)..to this day she still talks about it

my fondest memory that illustrates the collaberation between jazz promoter and cruiseline was last year on Celebrity Century, where a crew member that was our assistant waiter and one that was a cabin steward on our deck, were able to play in the horn section with Greg Adams (founder of Tower of Power), and Larry Carlton (FourPlay) and Boney James among other..at the end of the song there was this huge roar from the back of the room and when we turned around it was lined with their coworkers from the galley and housekeeping giving them a standing ovation..for the rest of the cruise the guests teased the two crewmembers about being superstars and asking for their picture and autographs..the crew was sooooooooooooooo proud of their coworkers and it brought crew and guest closer together as family